- Monday, 18 December 2017
School of Dentistry is one of the schools of Amoud University. It is situated in Borama District, Awdal Region. Amoud Dental School & Oral Health was established in the academic year 2008-2009 with the aim to produce dental surgeons optimally prepared to take part in the rapidly changing health care environment of our country. Health care systems depend not only upon infrastructure and resources, but also on the availability of skilled human resources. The changing pattern of oral diseases, their frequency and severity, and the disparity of distribution between developing and developed countries require changes in the strategies of dental education and oral health care delivery systems. Amoud College of Health Sciences was established to effectively address one of the Somaliland/Somali most neglected and pressing health problems which is dental and oral health care.
The current situation features huge unmet treatment needs, striking inequality in delivery systems and absence of an adequate community-oriented prevention system. People in developing countries are burdened by a significant number of oral diseases, which are further aggravated by poverty, poor living conditions, lack of dental awareness, and the absence of appropriate policies and funding to provide basic oral health care. In the wake of changing culture and lifestyle, new dental diseases are emerging. While future patterns of disease and the efficacy of future treatments are difficult to predict, the demand for dentistry is likely to increase. Amoud Dental was started to produce competent dental surgeons who are able to deal with the dental and oral health problems.
The curriculum is reflecting modern trends of dental education and is designed to equip the graduates with the, knowledge, skills, attitudes and abilities to adapt rapidly to changing professional circumstance. It is student-centered approach with emphasis on self-learning to develop in the students the ability and willingness to pursue their own learning after graduation.
Objectives of the School
To produce highly trained doctors and dental assistants who will play a great role in the delivery of dental and oral health care. In order to achieve this objective the School will:
- Provide these trainees with the knowledge, skill and attitudes to become competent densities.
- Promote Dental knowledge through research in all areas related to dental and oral health care including Basic science, clinical science studies, cultural and behavioral aspects of Dental methods for delivering dental health care and dental education.
- Aim at promoting exemplary, primary, secondary and tertiary dental and oral health care and related community services.
- Undertake continuing dental education to maintain and improve the competence of the practicing professional and serve as a dental recourse center (DRC) for dental professionals and
- Organizations involved in dental health care.
- Participate in the Development and improvement of the quality of dental services in the country
The goal school of dentistry is to produce competent Doctors who can deal with the prevailing health problems of the country, competent to practice preventive, promotive, curative and rehabilitative oral health in respect to the commonly encountered dental health problems and Possess the attitude for continued self learning and to seek further expertise or to pursue research in any chosen area of dentistry.
The vision of school of dentistry is producing and training desperately needed qualified dental professionals particularly for Somaliland.
The mission of School of dentistry is to contribute to knowledge and to produce dental graduates fully armed with practical and intellectual skills appropriate to the needs of our community. The school will work and make sure that the students acquire such skills using modalities that encourage active learning in the context in which they will later function as dental professionals.
Most subjects are taught with a variety of methods including lectures, projected materials with lecturers notes presented to the students, practical work and seminars.
Lap and clinical practice
Self directed learning
Staff training and development
Criteria for admission
Applicant to this School must have:
Completed secondary education
Passed the general requirement courses of the freshman year with at least a GPA of 3:00
Student assessment characteristics
- Theory, practical and oral evaluation
- Credit hour evaluation
- Assignment and presentations
- Curriculum evaluation
- End of course student feedback
- Courses coordinators report
- Yearly review
The credit hour per semester forms the basis of awarding a Bachelor degree at the faculty. In order to be eligible for the degree, the student must successfully earn a minimum of 280 hours. The duration for completing theses hours is four years, which are divided into the following manner.
- Basic science study: two years
- Pre-clinical study: one year
- Clinical study: one year
- OSCEs is final exam of the whole years which observe foreign examiners from king collage London. This is followed by an internship of one year in the Borama dental hospital, Hargaysa group hospital, manhel cerigabo hospital.
Achievements from 2009-2014
Graduation of the first group of dentist in whole Somalia speaking lands.
We Provide free community services include (160 patients with different fillings and 140 patients with complete and partial dentures and also so many different teeth extractions, all are free services)
New clinical lab that students take their clinical and laboratory activities.
There are so many achievements that we can’t summarize here.
Tel 1: +252-2-4502739
Tel 2: +252-2-4546844
- Most read
- Most commented